Howard Lodge was organized by Freemasons living in South Yarmouth, some of them belonging to Mount Horeb Lodge and some to Fraternal Lodge. They held a meeting on June 17,1869, to consider the formation of the new Lodge and chose the name of Howard, for John Howard, an English philanthropist, who lived from 1726 to 1790 and who dedicated his life to the upbuilding of character and bettering the conditions of his fellow-man in all parts of Europe.

The first regular meeting under dispensation was held September 4, 1869, and a Charter was granted on the 14th of December, 1870. The Lodge was publicly consecrated and dedicated by the {Acting} Grand Master, Most Worshipful Joseph K. Baker, on January 3, 1871.

The first meetings were held at what was then known as Music Hall. In 1878 they moved to a hall over Ezra D. Kelley’s store, and in 1887, moved to Eureka Hall, which they purchased in 1911. It is the building we are now using.